Does Afterpay accept a bank account as a payment method?
Yes, Afterpay accepts a bank account (also known as ACH) as a payment method.
Note: ACH is not available as a payment option on Pay Monthly Orders.
To add your bank account, please note:
- You must have a debit or credit card on file with an expiration date of over 2 months from now.
- Afterpay only accepts checking accounts, not savings accounts.
- You can use your bank account to pay at Checkout, to make payments on existing orders, or to select your bank account for scheduled payments.
- You cannot use your bank account to pay in-store at this time. If you attempt to pay with a bank account in-store, we’ll default to your saved debit or credit card.
- Note that bank accounts may take up 2-5 business days to process & will appear as 'Pending' on your Afterpay account until cleared by your bank.
How can I add my bank account as a payment method?
- Go to My Afterpay and go to Settings > Payment methods
- Select the “Add payment method” button
- Select “Bank account"
- Use your bank login details to link your bank account to Afterpay (no need to enter your routing or account numbers!)
Is paying with my bank account secure?
Yes, it’s secure. Our quick and secure account linking is powered by Plaid. You can read more about Plaid at https://plaid.com/safety.
How do I use my bank account to shop or make payments?
First, be sure you’ve already linked your bank account with the above steps. Once it’s linked, you’ll see it as an option in the dropdown menu at Checkout. If you select your bank account at Checkout, the remaining scheduled payments for the order will be paid with your bank account by default, unless you decide to change it.
To choose your bank account for upcoming payments:
- Go to My Afterpay
- Select Orders
- Select an upcoming payment
- On the payment selection, select your bank account to update your payment method
Will there be a delay in my payment if I choose to pay with a bank account?
No, Afterpay will only count payments on the day they’re made. As long as you make payments on or before the due date, there will be no late fees for that payment.
Why can’t I connect my bank account?
Afterpay only accepts checking accounts as a bank account option – we don’t accept savings accounts or pre-paid cards as a saved payment method. Be sure you also have a valid debit or credit card on file.
If you’re still having trouble linking your checking out, it may be because your bank is currently not a Financial Institution supported by Plaid.