I’ve been asked to scan or verify my payment method. What should I do?
- Have the physical credit or debit card ready. The last few digits will be listed so you know which one to verify.
- Tap Scan card.
- Grant permission for the Afterpay app to use your device camera.
- Scan the physical card, making sure to position it within the camera frame so the card number is visible.
- If the details match, your card will be successfully verified and you can continue.
If the card couldn’t be scanned, read My credit or debit card won’t scan. What should I do?
If the card was scanned but the details didn’t match, read My payment method couldn’t be verified. What should I do?
Why do I need to scan and verify my credit or debit card?
Afterpay works by paying for orders on your behalf, which you then pay off in 4 installments.
There are certain risks involved with this service, so to help ensure the safety of your account we scan and verify the credit or debit card(s) associated with your purchases.
We only use this scanned information for verification. It’s not stored or used for any other purpose.
My credit or debit card won’t scan. What should I do?
- Check if you granted permission for your device camera to be used.
- Check if any of the card’s information is obscured (e.g. by your finger).
- There may be a network or timeout issue. Wait a few moments and try again.
Please note: There’s a limit to the number of times you can scan a card. If scanning still doesn’t work after multiple tries, your card may not be able to be verified. For more details, read My payment method couldn’t be verified. What should I do?
My payment method couldn’t be verified. What should I do?
If you have the physical credit or debit card:
Check the digits of your card match what we have on file, then try scanning again. We’ll provide the last few digits of the card that needs verifying.
If this card still can’t be verified, try switching to a different payment method, or adding a new card. You may be asked to scan this new card too, so make sure you have the physical card ready.
If you don’t have the physical card:
Try switching to a different payment method, or adding a new credit or debit card. You may be asked to scan this new card too, so make sure you have the physical card ready.
If you don’t have the physical card, nor any other payment methods:
You may not be able to purchase with Afterpay until you have a physical credit or debit card you can add and verify as a new payment method.