Check you entered the right purchase amount, especially any added taxes and shipping.
To try again with a new purchase amount, tap Buy now. Pay later and enter the new amount.
If you've already entered a purchase amount and you need to edit it, tap the Afterpay button and select Edit card amount.
If you’re using store credit, a promo code or a gift card, read How do I use Single-Use Payment with store credit, promo codes or gift cards?
Please note: Typically Afterpay adds an extra 10% to the order to always make sure everything is covered. You're only charged for what you end up spending, so don't worry if the purchase amount is slightly larger than the order
See below for some retailer specific tips for making sure your purchase is successful!
- Do not use Afterpay’s Single-Use Payment for recurring charges like Shipt (same day delivery)
- Due to fraud rules with Target, orders with gift cards or high risk items such as electronics might be canceled.
What is Afterpay Single-Use Payment?
With Afterpay Single-Use Payment, you can shop and pay at certain online retailers directly in your Afterpay app.
Simply shop within the Afterpay app at a participating retailer of your choice, then at checkout let us know your purchase amount and confirm your payment schedule.
The Afterpay app will auto-fill the payment section with Single-Use Payment details. You can then click purchase and finalize your order.
Once your order is placed, your down payment will be authorized and your order will appear in your Afterpay account, where you'll pay it off over 6 weeks, interest-free.
Where can I shop with Single-Use Payment?
Once you login to the Afterpay app, you will see on the Shop page a section called "in-app only", there you will find all amazing Single-Use Payment merchants.
How do I shop with Single-Use Payment?
Open your Afterpay app (or download the app and sign up if you haven’t already), find a merchant marked “In-App Only” and visit that merchant from within the Afterpay app. Shop, add to your cart, and then when you’re ready to check out, tap the green “Buy Now. Pay Later” button at the bottom of the screen and follow the instructions.
How do I shop with Single-Use Payment at Target?
Note: For other stores, visit How do I shop with Single-Use Payment?
1. In your Afterpay app, tap Target in the Shop tab.
2. Shop on the Target website and add products to your cart.
3. When you're ready to pay, go to Target's checkout and confirm your contact and shipping details (you may also need to log in).
4. At the payment step, select Edit payment, then select Add payment card. The Buy now. Pay later button at the bottom of your app screen should activate.
5. Tap Buy now. Pay later and follow the steps to enter the purchase amount (including shipping and taxes), and confirm your payment schedule.
6. The Single-Use Payment details will be auto-filled into the credit/debit card section.
7. Save the payment method and place your order.
8. Your down payment will be authorized and your order will show up in your Afterpay app's Orders tab.
9. Once your order has been processed, you can remove the saved payment method containing the Single-Use Payment details.
How do I cancel a Single-Use Payment order?
If you’ve entered the purchase amount but haven’t confirmed your payment schedule:
- Tap the X in the corner of the Afterpay screen
- The screen will close and this Single-Use Payment setup will stop.
If you’ve confirmed your payment schedule and auto-filled the Single-Use Payment details, but haven’t placed the order:
- Tap the Afterpay button at the bottom of the app screen
- Tap Cancel Single-Use Payment
- The Single-Use Payment details that were auto-filled will be cancelled and can be removed.
Note: To cancel a Single-Use Payment at Target, first open the saved payment method containing the Single-Use Payment details, then follow the steps above.
If you’ve placed the order:
You’ll need to contact the retailer and request a return. For more details, read How do returns and refunds work for Single-Use Payment orders?
I auto-filled the Single-Use Payment information but some details are missing. What should I do?
If some Single-Use Payment (like the CVV) is missing from the checkout page, you can retry having the details auto-filled:
- Tap the Afterpay button at the bottom of the app screen
- Tap Retry card details
If you’re experiencing technical difficulties with the Single-Use Payment option, here is a small checklist you can use to try and get it working:
- Make sure your phone has the latest update from the manufacturer
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Afterpay app
- If yes, try to force close the app and create a new card again
If this still isn't successful, you can let us know in the app and try again later.
Yes, all the benefits remain the same for you when shopping with these merchants, including paying in 4 over six weeks, interest free.
Currently, you can only shop with Single-Use Payment in Afterpay’s iOS and Android apps in the US. With Afterpay Single-Use Payment, you can shop and pay at certain online retailers directly in your Afterpay app.
If your item is eligible for a refund to your original form of payment, follow these steps:
- Contact the retailer and start their returns process
- In your Orders tab, select the order you wish to return
- Tap the '...' menu button, then select Returning an order
- Select Returning by mail
- Follow the remaining steps.
If you have a question or a concern regarding your refund, please make sure to include a copy of your refund receipt or proof of refund to Afterpay’s customer support team.
- Apply the discount at the store checkout.
- Tap the activated Buy now. Pay later button.
- Enter the full purchase amount (the amount before the discount was applied), plus any shipping and taxes.
- Confirm your payment schedule.
- The Single-Use Payment details will be auto-filled into the credit/debit card section.
- Place your order.
- Your down payment will be authorized and your order will show up in your Afterpay app's Orders tab.
- We’ll confirm the final discounted price and adjust your payment schedule accordingly. Any partial refunds of your down payment will be issued within 24 hours.
Please note: You're only charged for what you end up spending, so don't worry if the purchase amount is slightly larger than the order.
If your discount doesn’t appear, cancel the Single-Use Payment order and try again.
See below for retailer specific tips!
- Target’s Red Card discount does not work with Afterpay’s Single-Use Payment
- You may not receive bonus gift cards earned from purchases when using Afterpay’s Single-Use Payment
Depending on the store you shop at, we might add a small buffer to allow for extra tax/shipping charges from the store, and to prevent order declines. For example, if your final checkout screen shows $100, but your actual order was for $90, we’ll wait until we have confirmation from the merchant of the final order total, and then will void out the $10 difference. You WILL NOT be charged for the difference; only for the actual final order total from the merchant. Note: Merchants can take up to 24 hours to adjust.
Occasionally, the merchants offered in our Shop Directory change. This can be due to several reasons including maintenance and other necessary technical updates. Check back on the Shop Directory often to stay up to date!
Orders will reflect in your Afterpay account once the merchant starts processing your order.