Afterpay is committed to responsible spending - because anything else is bad for you, bad for our merchant partners and bad for Afterpay.
Afterpay assesses your ability to make repayments in your short instalment plan. The longer you have been a responsible shopper with Afterpay, the more likely we will be to approve your purchase. This helps us grow a community of responsible spenders that work with us every day to plan, buy and pay.
For those who have only recently joined Afterpay, spending limits will generally be lower. However, the longer a user is with us, spending responsibly and making repayments on time, spending limits are likely to increase.
As we learn more about each other, our system incentivises responsible spending and we can work together to help you to plan, buy and pay for more of the things you need.
Things to consider:
- Are there sufficient funds on your card (generally we look to see the first installment amount of the order value available to spend on the card you are using)
- length of time you have been using Afterpay (tighter in the first 6 weeks)
- Amount you have to repay, it may help to pay some off (not a guarantee)
- The value of the order you are trying to place, it may help to reduce the value of your shopping cart (not a guarantee)
- The number of orders you currently have 'open' with us (not a guarantee)
We are committed to making sure our community supports responsible spending. To help we have developed special proprietary technology to assess individual purchase applications. This system is vital to help you stay in control of your money and avoid missed payments whenever possible.
Afterpay does not approve 100% of orders. We are committed to ensuring we support responsible spending.
When determining which orders to approve, we consider a number of different factors. As an example, the longer you have been a shopper with Afterpay and the more orders you have successfully repaid, the more likely you will be able to spend more.