Afterpay will direct all enquiries from shopper's, regarding return of goods, to you, the Retailer/Merchant. For privacy purposes, Afterpay is unable to issue a refund to a shopper on behalf of a Merchant.
Afterpay will only process refunds following the instruction by a Merchant though the issue of a refund request via the Merchant Portal.
- Afterpay will determine how to apply the refund to the shopper’s order and adjust the shopper's payment schedule accordingly to reflect the refund issued
- Afterpay will process amounts back to the shopper’s card in the instances where the customer has made payments to Afterpay already.
- An email will be sent from Afterpay to the shopper to confirm the refund has been processed and communicate the changes to the customer’s payment schedule.
- Any refunds will be accounted for in the next settlement date. Refund amounts will be clearly identified as such in the detailed settlement information.
- Afterpay Merchant fees are non-refundable in the event of a refund.
- Once a refund has been issued, Afterpay is not able to reverse or change this action.
You must NEVER REFUND CASH to a shopper in relation to any amounts paid by shoppers to Afterpay.
Any refund other than the full order amount is considered a partial refund.
- Afterpay will automatically update the shopper’s payment schedule by reducing the instalments or processing a refund back to shopper’s card where required.
- The refund is applied to the 4th instalment first, then the 3rd instalment and so on.
Example: If the order value is $100 and the customer has paid 1 instalment of $25 then in case of a partial refund ($60 for this example) Afterpay will cancel the customer's 4th and 3rd instalments of $25, and reduce the 2nd instalment to $15.
Any refund which is of full order amount is considered as a full refund.
- Afterpay will automatically cancel the shopper's payment schedule so that the shopper is no longer charged for the order.
- If the shopper has made any payments Afterpay will process a refund back to their card.
For example: If the order value is $100 and the shopper has paid 2 installments of $25 then in case of a full refund Afterpay would cancel the installment 3rd and 4th and process $50 refund (i.e. $25 X 2 instalments) back to shopper's card.
For a variety of ecomm platforms – merchants are requested to process the refund via their website rather than the admin portal:
Not on one of these? Then you need to log onto the Afterpay Merchant Portal to apply the refund via the Afterpay system.
- Login to the Merchant Portal
- Click on the Order that you wish to apply a Refund to
- View Order details and press the ISSUE REFUND button
- Enter the Refund Amount and your password
- Press ISSUE REFUND button
- The refund will be processed by Afterpay to the shopper's order.
- The refund will be accounted for in Settlement at the next settlement date.
Once a refund has been issued, Afterpay is not able to reverse or change this action.
Note: You will be bound by the terms of your agreement with Afterpay as to how you deal with exchanges, returns and refunds.