It depends on how you originally paid for the item.
Purchased with Afterpay barcode
If you used our barcode you should return the item to the store along with the till receipt and the store team member will scan the receipt to ensure the refund goes back to your Afterpay account.
Purchased with Afterpay Card
If you made the purchase using our Card, you can put the funds back onto your Afterpay account like this:
- Launch the Afterpay app and select the Card tab
- Select the 'i' icon in the top right corner to open the How It Works Page
- Select 'How do I return an order?'
- Select 'Make an Afterpay Card return'
- Select 'Refund to Afterpay Card'
- Your digital wallet will open; be sure that our Mint and Black Card is on screen
- Hold your phone near the card reader at the register
Please keep your receipt from the retailer as confirmation of your return. If the return is successful, funds will be returned to your card in 5-7 business days.
Good to know
For security reasons, receipts from purchases made with Apple Pay or Google Pay will not show the same last few digits as on the front of your physical or virtual card.
The numbers you see on the receipt are the last four digits of a digital card number associated with your physical or virtual card. These last four can be validated by your card provider.
What PIN do I use if prompted for a refund?
Some merchant terminals will be configured to request a PIN when processing a refund. This PIN number is not usually verified when the merchant processes the refund, so any number can be entered (such as 0000 or 1111) to complete the refund.
If the refund is declined, you will need to set up a PIN for your Afterpay Card before re-attempting your refund. To set up a PIN number for your Afterpay Card, follow the steps below:
- Click the card tab at the bottom of the app
- Click the info button on top right hand corner (i)
- Click how to set or update your pin
You will be prompted to choose and reconfirm your PIN number. You can then re-attempt your purchase and use your PIN number when prompted. This PIN number can be changed at any time via the Afterpay App.
Where can a customer find the last four digits of the card used for the purchase during a refund?
The cashier can use the Device Account Number to process your return. To find the Device Account Number on your iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down to Wallet & Apple Pay
- Tap the Afterpay card