Play Travel is a new travel service launched in response to Afterpay customer feedback offering package holidays to destinations in Australia and around the world, designed with the Afterpay customer in mind.
Play Travel helps travellers to book and pay for an amazing travel experience over weekly interest-free instalments prior to their departure date.
How is it different to Afterpay?
Play Travel's payment model is different to Afterpay because holidays are very different to the products Afterpay usually offers.
For one, their values are higher, which means instalment periods need to be longer and more flexible.
Play Travel enables customers to spread the cost of their holiday across instalments and pay in full prior to their departure date. This is a reverse of the traditional Afterpay approach and sees you pay before you go, not when you come back. It’s effectively layby in the traditional sense.
This means that, in line with a traditional layby model, no funds are advanced to customers, and all payments made by Play Travel to providers on a customer’s behalf come from funds contributed via instalments by the customer themselves.
Play Travel payments can be made weekly or fortnightly over 2-to 12-months. Afterpay repayments are fortnightly over 6- to 8-weeks.
Play Travel holiday packages range in price, but because of their nature some are over $2,000.
Like Afterpay, you can make early payments manually via your Play Travel account.
Another key difference is that holidays are made up of different parts – tickets plus accommodation plus experiences – they aren’t just a single item to be purchased.
This means that things like pricing, administration costs and refunds need to be different to Afterpay’s existing model and more in line with the travel industry.
How to book with Play Travel
- Visit website, http://www.playtravel.com.au/
- Browse the holiday packages available at any given time.
- Set up a Play Travel account, including linking it to a valid Australian-issued credit or debit card – you cannot use your Afterpay account to access Play Travel (you will need to set up a separate Play Travel account)
- Amex, Visa and Mastercard are available
- Select the package you want and personalise that package (how many travellers, what inclusions do you want).
- Play Travel will calculate your total package cost and the instalment payment breakdown (by weekly and fortnightly frequency).
- Select the payment period and frequency you want (either weekly or fortnightly).
- Play Travel will calculate your regular instalment amount based on your booking selections.
- Confirm your booking and make your first payment (this is required at the time of booking).
- You can log in to your account at any time to see your booking summary, when payments are due, what balance is outstanding, and key cancellation dates and details.
- Play Travel will always communicate with you via SMS and through your Play Travel account to let you know in advance when an instalment is due.
- Your instalments enable you to pay for the holiday in full 1 month prior to your departure, unless otherwise specified.
- Travel documents and other redemption instructions will be provided within 2 weeks prior to your travel date.